- This event has passed.
Backing Historic Small Restaurants
February 27 @ 8:00 am - March 9 @ 5:00 pm
With the deadline for this new program fast approaching (March 9), we wanted to pass along news of this important opportunity.
Backing Historic Small Restaurants is a grant program sponsored by American Express in partnership with the National Trust for Historic Preservation, with additional support from Main Street America, AT&T Business, Dell Technologies, and the National Restaurant Association. The program has a preference for restaurants owned by underrepresented groups, including People of Color and women, disproportionally impacted by the pandemic. It will be administered by the National Trust.
Grants of $40,000 each will be awarded to 25 small, local restaurants, located in historic buildings or historic neighborhoods, that have long been anchors in the life of their communities. Now more than ever, local businesses at the heart of community life need to be recognized and supported. You are invited to help identify and nominate a historic small restaurant for a grant award!
Are you a restaurant owner—or restaurant lover—who’d like to nominate your favorite historic eatery in the United States? Before you do, check out the eligibility criteria:
- Have experienced significant financial hardship due to the impacts of the pandemic.
- Have contributed to the neighborhood’s history and/or the identity of a particular neighborhood or community for at least 25 years.
- Be a small/independently owned restaurant located in a historic building and/or historic neighborhood.
- Preference will be given to businesses owned by underrepresented groups, including People of Color and women, disproportionally impacted by the pandemic.
- Priority will be given to small restaurants who have not already received significant COVID-19-related aid.
The link to nominate a restaurant can be found here: https://savingplaces.org/historicrestaurants#.YDpm8GhKhhG
Submission deadline: March 9, 2021